Rated 5 out of 5
by technogeek1963 The best Android tablet on the market period.
I only had this tablet a day, but this tablet is so terrific that I wanted to share my enthusiasm with the public. SONY has outdone themselves. This tablet is great, because it's so light weight and responsive. The only problem I have is a minor software issue. when I open up Chrome the menu tab on the right is not too responsive. As for the display, I think it is very good. I consider myself a techno buff/guru. This tablet has met my expectations and needs. Oodles to Sony. Did I mention how light weight it is. That is so awesome in my opinion!
May 16, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Squirrel Very happy with the Z2
I have had the Z2 about 3 weeks and like the product very much.
- It is incredibly light weight and easy to hold
- It is incredibly fast and able to multi task apps without lag
- the screen is great for reading documents (my main use)
- The thing is waterproof (tested and confirmed). I have a Z1 phone that I also think is great and was the reason why I went for Sony again for the tablet. The flaps that protect the ports feel a bit flimsy but are actually really tough - I've practiced a lot with my Z1 and the don't break or wear out.
- The Sony ecosystem is good - I connected my phone and tablet with a simple touch through the nfc.
- battery life I have found to be excellent - easy get a full day continuous use, however charging is not fast (the Z1 magnetic charger does however fit the Z2).
- Please provide additional accessories sony - I have the cover but would like screen protectors
- A Samsung style stylus would be useful
- The headphone jack is in the wrong place - this should be on the top of the device - why put it underneath so it doesn't stand in landscape properly ?
May 25, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by normie05 Best Tablet I have owned
I am pleased with the picture quality. It has a deep rich picture. The sound is very good as far as tablets go. The bluetooth is tops. It picks up my network and external speaker with no effort once you set it up. The batter could be a tad better as I like my pic brite. The sony staff at the sony store needs to be trained a bit better with product info. I had many call backs on bad info they provided. Like the hdmi cable I ordered and the sales rep forgot to say I needed the adaper for the cable etc. Intrest rate on my promo was not set up good. Months to pay back etc. I was told 24 months but got only 6 month to pay. Be careful the call center is not in the usa. Many of the sales persons dont know there stuff. Next time I will be more prepared before I call the sony store..All in all get the tablet you wont be sorry. Its a keeper
October 10, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by Alexus Beware of major existing issue
If you are planning on ordering this tablet - be aware of its currently existing issue. At some random point during the usage of the tablet its touchscreen may stop registering the touches properly. For example, it may start to "skip" some of your touches or might register a single momentary touch as a "double tap" or a "long tap", making the whole tablet feel very "laggy" and barely usable. As of June 4th, 2014, this STILL happens even after the latest official software update, and this happens for MANY people all around the world (a simple Google search for "touchscreen problem" for this specific model will show you that). Luckily there's a "quick fix" - if you start getting this "touchscreen lag" you can just put tablet to sleep by pressing the power button then immediately wake it up by pressing the power button again. After that the "touchscreen lag" usually goes away. Unfortunately this "fix" is very temporary and after some time the "lag" appears again. If you do not want to deal with possibility of getting this "lag" on your tablet - I highly recommend waiting for a PROPER software fix which will completely and permanently get rid of this issue.
June 4, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5 by AlexandreQMJ Some huge fails
Sorry, I really loved this tablet, when you get it in you hands, even if you are used with good piece of tech gadgets you will become impressed, but are 2 huge mistskes with this one.
1 - The screen has problems, Sony tried to fix it, but wasnt enough, the problems continue happens, hope more updates come to solve this.
2 - This tablet has a huge design problem, and i'm suprise that no one notice that, the headphones jack is in the worst place that could be. Sony made this tablet to be a landscape tablet, and with the oficial cover is terrible to use it with earphones, the headphones should be in the side or in the top of the tablet, the only way to use it like this is take the tablet off the cover and put it upside down, but it is too much work to do it everytime. With 3 weeks using it I notice that, and i'm really suprise how the Sony designers(one of the good features of the brand) didn't saw that.
In my opinion the jack could be in the same side of the tablet, but in the side, not in the bottle(terrible place)
On all other stuff comparing with others this tablet is just perfect.
September 12, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by DkinNY Strong Android Contender
I am an avid user of the Android ecosystem, and the Xperia Z2 tablet is a wonderful new addition to the high-end tablet market. I was able to pick one up at the Sony Store the day it was released in the U.S., so I've been using it comprehensively for a couple weeks now. Here are my initial impressions:
1) Unlike another reviewer, I have not experienced any lag. The processor speed and RAM appear to be more than enough for my extensive use, including apps that caused major lag issues with my former Android tablet (ASUS Transformer Pad - which seemed to develop lag with newer versions of Android, including 4.4 (KitKat)). The tablet runs as well as or better than my Galaxy S4 phone also running KitKat.
2) The tablet is very light and is comfortable to hold. Even before I purchased a standing case, I could hold the tablet with one hand (like a magazine) and read for extended periods of time without any fatigue. I could not do this with other 10 inch Android tablets.
3) The UI is very true to Android -- not a lot of manipulation in the vein of Samsung.
4) Some industry reviews indicated that battery life on the Xperia Z2 tablet was a concern. Based solely on my SUBJECTIVE opinion and no actual metrics, I thought that when using the tablet for internet browsing or email, power did seem to deplete quicker than I would want even when using Sony's STAMINA mode; however, when watching a downloaded movie on a flight, I was surprised that the battery was lasting longer than I thought it would. Again, my basis is purely subjective . . .
5) If I had any criticisms about the tablet, it would be that the touchscreen is slightly less responsive than I'd like it to be, when compared to other Android-based touchscreen devices I have used. It may be a calibration issue that can be addressed in a future update, but I've encountered a few inaccurate responses to taps on web browser links. I also sometimes need to tap a few times on spot before the tablet registers a response. I experienced this both before and after I installed a screen protector. I wouldn't say this is constant or is a major detraction from the Xperia z2 experience, just an occasional minor nuisance.
Overall, the tablet is great and certainly rivals the iPad Air for overall functionality and build quality in the same price range.
May 16, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by vladi123456 Excellent
I bought this tablet a few weeks ago, and I waited until today to post my review - wanted to make sure I have enough time to evaluate it properly. With that being said - here's my review..
In short - the tablet is outstanding. The very first thing I noticed was - small bezels! The bezels in the pictures look huge, but in real life they are pretty tiny. I'm not sure how these tablets are photographed, but in my case if the bezels were any smaller, I'd be pushing the on-screen buttons all the time by accident, they are barely big enough for me to hold the tablet comfortably (medium size hands)
Battery life - the tablet lasts pretty much all day, and since I don't use it all day long - it lasts me several days between re-charges. Totally fine with me.
Screen - I only use the tablet at home, so no glare issues in my case. The screen is pretty sweet, great quality and 1080p resolution is just fine by me - in fact, I would only buy the next tablet when it gets 4K resolution - maybe.. I'll have to see it first - 4K resolution on a 10 inch tablet might be an overkill for me..
Screen sensitivity - I never really have to click any buttons more than once, so I can't comment on the screen not being sensitive enough to a touch. I haven't had any issues with that.
RAM and speed of operations - the tablet is pretty responsive and it is (of course) much faster than my old Sony Tablet S. Everything loads pretty fast, and sometimes it even seems faster than my 2 years old laptop with 8GB of RAM and I7 processor when it comes to browsing.
Reliability - the tablet hasn't crushed once on me yet, which is awesome. I haven't had any issues whatsoever in the few weeks of my ownership.
Build quality - the tablet feels premium - almost. A couple of times it seemed a little bendy, although being like what - 2mm thick? It makes sense why it's not as solid as some might expect. But on the other hand, it's way-way better in this regard than my old Sony Tablet S, so I have no complaints here either.
The only issue I have with this tablet is sound quality - and I'm not referring to the built-in speakers, which are loud enough. But I'm talking about hooking up the tablet to a boombox to listen to my music - the sound quality is so poor - I have to crank it almost all the way up to have some decent sound. In comparison, when I hook up my laptop to that same boombox, the sound quality is much-much better. I'm just saying that for $500 I hoped for something better. But then again - I don't really care as I'm using my laptop for music now, since the tablet pretty much has replaced it for almost everything else.
Overall, what an awesome device, and I'm looking forward to the next iteration, hopefully with a much better sound card this time!
August 15, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by agyasu Great Design and Functionality
Slim, light tablet for every occasion. Although it has a thicker bezel than its counterparts, it offers real estate for the thumb when holding one-handed. The back material is finger-print prone, but easy to wipe and clean.
Battery life is excellent, to say the least. The tablet can withstand heavy usage at home and work, day in, day out. Charging does take a while (~3-4 hours from near empty) however, and the flappy plastic covering the micro-usb charging/data port can look quite fragile. I purchased the magnetic charger / bluetooth speaker and these two pair very well.
Sound from the stereo front-facing speaker is loud and clear. Software sound improvements are mostly useless (except clearaudio+ and xLoud) however, mostly making sound muddy and soft.
Over all a great purchase. I'm interested in seeing how the Z3 tablet compact will turn out.
September 24, 2014