Rated 4 out of 5
by JcCuriel Amazing Phone...but
So I bought this phone through TMobile yesterday after 4 weeks of using the Moto G. I know they are not in the same league but man, does this phone it it away. The phone itself is amazing. The front and back glass construction is top notch. The waterproof features are really cool and works really well. The UI is beautiful and the loaded Sony Apps are second to none. My only gripe would have to be the camera its self. Don't get me wrong it takes amazing pictures but there are many instances where any front facing camera shots and rear shots show ALOT of grain. I don't know if this will be fixed in a firmware update or not but its really making me think about returning this phone. If anyone is having these issues please give any advice. I will add a photo taking with the Z1S and my Moto G so you can see the grain I'm taking about.
February 3, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by Giantsfan3in5 finally got my replacement!!
Itss been 5 long months to save for my replacement Xperia z1s to arrive. My cat snagged my original i got in July annd pulled it off and the glass hit in lower right hand corner and busted it all the wway through.
even with the protective cover on the outside there was not a cover on the inside cover in the class that will be rectified shortly.
I love this phone the picture is just exceptional it's better than the Samsung or HTC or Motorola. I like that and I just love this phone I like everything about the features I want to get rid of some of the apps i dont use buty steps to have more space available for the hard drive. I do qishthe battery was replaceable in case something happened to the battery. The battery life is good I use it 24 /7 and it holds up just fine I do have to plug it in and keep it plugged in a lot because I do a lot of work on the internet on my phone as opposed to working on my samsung tablet I just do like this a whole lot better. I could use a longer charge cord though. Why are they always so short?!?!?!
December 29, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by SmooshyDuck Essential for Active Media Lovers
This phone does everything I was told and then some. I purchased it because it had a nice camera and I'm addicted to taking pictures. I don't own a camera and the last two that I had could not withstand my clumsiness. Slapped a shock -absorbent case on this sucker and I was good to go. It took me a while to get the courage to test the waterproof abilities, but they work phenomenally. Only in freshwater though, which means no awesome underwater pool photoshoots.
I love the interconnectivity with my PSN account. Being able to check messages on the fly when I'm away from home. And I loved getting the free movies and games just for buying the phone. It's just another bonus to an already awesome device.
The text-to-speech is very responsive, which I love. The sound clarity is great on calls. And the Swype is fairly accurate. The screen acts up a bit when it's wet, but that's easily solved.
The one critique I have is that some days my battery just overheats like crazy. Also, it overheats when I'm using the camera a lot which then causes the camera to force shut off. :\ Irritating when I'm on a hike or at a show and can't take pictures.
September 26, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by FutureSonyPres Love it!!
I've had this phone for about a year now and its still just as fast as it was when I purchased it. The battery only lasts about a day now (use to get two days and some change) but thats because of over charging the phone (sleeping with it on the charger), it only takes about 2 and a half hours to get a full charge. Anyways I love this phone the only thing that slightly bothers me is the charging port cover, but the way around that pain is buying the magnetic charging cord.
December 27, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by HectorR Great Phone for 5 Weeks, then it stopped
What a beautiful screen and nice sound for a reasonably (on sale) priced phone. Unfortunately, during week 5 it simply quick working. I picked it up off the table and it was dead. The recommendation that I charge the phone for 30 minutes did not work after 30, 60, and 360 minutes. Fortunately, I purchased the extended warranty. Unfortunately, the warranty representative neglected to note I needed a replacement, and listed the problem as broken glass as a result of being dropped (physically the phone is in perfect condition). The bottom line is that I like phone when it is working, but even for $300 it should last more than 5 weeks.
March 19, 2015
Rated 4 out of 5 by wlay1980 Great Product
The Sony Xperia Z1s.
First I must say that I am a SONY fan, but not without my interests in fairness and objectivity. Because, I am a SONY follower I am going to start with the Pros and go from there.
1) The body, great lines and angles the look of this phone is perfect in every way. You cannot get better then nice crisp angles.
2) The Hardware, FAST......with room to spare, lots of computing power and works with even the most demanding apps/games and emulators. Plenty of RAM (but face it more is always better).
A)Using a quad core 2+Ghz processor means never having to sacrifice.
B)The screen beautiful colors, very accurate, viewing angle is wonderful.
C)Expandability, with 16GB on board and up to 64GB in SD card space. I have little to no worries about storage space.
D)Sound is great.
3) Water Proofing, Personally I have never tested this feature, While I truly believe SONY and their claim I have had no desire to....pull at that thread. In short, everything I have read and seen in demo's of this phones feature of water proofing leads me to believe that in the case of accidental dropage into a puddle, toilet, pool, or other body of water my phone will be safe and secure.
4) Finally the camera, packing a punch using SONY's famous G series glass this little camera produces amazing images. With the ability to create Panoramas and in camera HDR this camera has it all. No, need for a seperate point and shoot.
CONS:(because, nothing is perfect even though SONY is really close)
I choose to start with the feature I use the least.
1) Camera, While I said before that it produces amazing images it does, that was no lie. However, More is not always better. With 20+ megapixels producing large detailed images the noise the is produced ruins images and the artifacting is not something I like to see. Many other phone companies have managed to produce images that while are missing the color richness I have come to love about SONY , they have produce more consistantly clear and noise free images. In short, I would say that just because you can pack 20+MP into it does not mean you need to.
2) Battery Life, clearly the weak point of the phone. When under load the phones battery drains rapidly fast. Meaning your game time on world 8-1 of Mario is quickly cut short. However, with that being said it has better battery life under load then most other phones I have seen.
3) Overheating and touchscreen response issues, This phone is a powerhouse and In my opinion no longer a phone but a very powerful pocket PC. I use this phone for everything from email to texting cooking recipes to gaming. However, when the phone overheats you loose your touchscreen and there are many fixes that dramatically interupt playability and usability. It is immpossible to pack that much great stuff into such a small box without having some overheating, but I think this should be a target for future iterations of this product.
Finally, I have been a SONY devotie for many years I am a huge fan of their cameras and own several DSLR's and mirrorless cameras. SONY has always impressed me with its ability to constantly move forward without loosing any steam. This phone is incredible and I will be using sony phones, tablets and other technologies for life.
in conclusion, I have rated this product 4/5 stars because of the flaws in the battery life and overheating issues. While I know that under load these are problems that are unavoidable I feel that it would be false for me to rate it 5/5. As this proudct grows and improves I believe SONY will be the number android phone on the market. Please keep bringing us open source, android products for years to come.
December 31, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by WheatRidgeHS2001 Touchscreen Issues!!! Buyers Beware!
There's been several reports of touchscreen issues!!!! Be very cautious when proceeding. The phone is amazing!!!! However the touchscreen issues can render the phone unusable for the duration of the episodes it has.
If you're a heavy "drag" user, meaning you rely a lot on dragging your finger across the screen, you'll experience a lot of issues. If you're a quick tapper, and don't rely heavily on the dragging of the phone you'll be fine and when the update comes out you won't even worry.
For me personally I drag a lot! Games like Hungry Shark, or browsing the web, I tend to keep my finger on the screen and drag which causes me issues! I'm also a heavy swyper! This is impossible to use when it is having issues.
It's intermittent and frequent, but until Sony updates the software to fix these touchscreen issues, I'd say proceed with caution!
I plan on returning my 4th device and I will continue to do so until fixed! I'm trying to send a message to Sony. Fix this issue! You have a gem! The phone is killer! It'd be amazing without touchscreen problems!
February 19, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by SonyIsTerrible Two phones, same issues
My girlfriend and I purchased Xperia Z1S earlier this year. At first we were happy with the phone.
About 3 months in, both phones started having following problems:
- Phone freezes often, tried to reboot but the power button didn't work even when held down for over a minute. Forced to take out the phone cover, then the battery.
- Flimsy plastic parts that cover areas where charger cord, SD card, etc keep falling out. It's very poorly made and I definitely wouldn't trust this phone to be water proof for this reason
- Camera software has issues. "Camera not available" is the message I often get during critical moments and I'm forced to reboot the phone, not just the software.
Thankfully I have "Jump" with T-Mobile and plan on replacing it with Samsung after my 1 year is up so that i may get a replacement for free. I'm not bothering with using insurance until issues become more serious.
October 30, 2014