Rated 4.9 out of 5 by 21
Rated 5 out of 5
by forgiven Love my new Lens
I took my Sony FE70-200mm F4 G OSS lens on a road trip. The photos I took out the window of my car while the driver was going around 60 miles per hour. I was very happy with how clear and crisp the photos were.
I have a Nex 7 camera and the colors were great. I have loved my NEX 7 and find this new lens a great addition.
The lens fits well in my hand. The only draw back is the weight when I carry it around.
Both photos below were taken while the car was moving at a good speed.
February 6, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5
by BigELVIS Best Bargain Of My Year
I borrowed this lens last summer for a very intensive shoot overseas in Korea for two weeks. It was a life saver. Using the Fe 70-200 F4 G OSS was the same as finding an oasis in the desert. The lens was so light on my Sony A7 so that even with a bum shoulder I always would forget about it until I needed it. Working with it and my 24 to 70 mm F4 lens was a pleasure and I really worked it hard. I shot every day In all kinds of conditions sometimes in really dark places and using the 70 to 200 mm, I shot a lot of interesting photos without a tripod shooting wide open at F4. I made images with that lens at 1/15 of a second handheld and sharp as a razor's edge. I was able to capture the subtle color that lived inside the color photographs that I saw in some very dark places. Buying this lens may be the best deal that I may have made recently. It is small and light and travels well. You can carry it in a jacket pocket or photo vest. And finally - the lens sturdiness is a plus and it is also as sharp as a serpent's tooth. It's a truly great lens!
February 25, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5
by Jolie3 A Pleasure to Use, truly Balanced Quality
This lens is balanced beautifully on my A7s. The image quality is really outstanding. It's smooth and silent operation makes it a pleasure to use, concentration is on the subject. The mechanics and feel of this lens is simply great; sharpness, color, and contrast. This one is definitely a fine one to keep and definitely work hard.
August 23, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by ProArte Optimus Prime
If you own an a7R, this is definitely the lens to capture images of sports, birds, portraiture, and videos. It is the only zoom lens that has the razor sharpness to match the high resolution sensor of the a7R; for example, when you take a picture of NASCAR 51, you will be able to discern each and every hair of Justin Allgaier's eyebrows. I have been using this FE 70-200 F4 G since it was first issued by Sony for everything but macrophotography. The color is perfect and there is no distortion. Marvelous landscapes come from closing the aperture down to have foreground to infinity in focus. Attach a polarizing filter and capture rainbow trout swimming in the clear mountain streams. Project the image on a 12 ft screen to see shimmering fish scales. If you are going to attach a zoom lens to the a7R, make it this one; and take spectacular photographs everywhere you go.
December 30, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by GaryS Excellent Lens
Purchased the FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS Full-frame Zoom Lens to use with my a7 and a7r. This set-up works great for me as it feels lighter in my hands than my old set-up, Nikon D610 + Nikkor 70-200m f/4G VR.
The images captured with both Sony cameras are sharp and as good or better than my old set-up. I am very happy that I made the switch. I do not care about the techno stuff. All that I care about is the output and with this equipment, I can see an improvement in my images. I have no problem carrying the FE 24-70mm, FE 70-200mm, FE 55mm along with either the a7 or the a7r all day with no complaints.
June 6, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by JohnNH Stunning....
I purchased this lens for use on both my A7 and A7R - and it certainly does not disappoint. In fact, after coming from the Nikon world - I expected this Sony lens to fall a bit short in IQ compared to my Nikkor counterparts - but, in fact - it is as good as, if not better! - then my Nikkor 80-200mm F/2.8 IF-ED and other Nikkor lenses (I own a bunch of high end Nikon lenses).
A couple of very simple truths about this lens...
1) Looks are deceiving. I expected this lens to be hefty and heavy - but, looks are indeed - deceiving. For the form factor, it's actually quite svelte and handles and balances beautifully, either in-hand or attached to a tripod (from the lens foot). While the weight overpowers a bit my NEX-7, it is wonderfully balanced on either my A7 or A7R.
2) Focus speed and focus acquisition is fast. Really fast. Even when stopped down to smaller f/stops. I haven't experienced any focus-hunting on either my A7 or A7R.
3) I keep being asked "is this lens sharp". Yes - it is. It is SHARP. It's as good as - if not BETTER - then my Nikkor high-end lenses, some being twice the price of this Sony lens when I purchased the Nikon lenses "new". So, that's a huge compliment to the Sony Optics team. Stunning lens..And yes - again - it is SHARP - even "pixel peeping a 36MB RAW file from my A7R...
4) There are manual controls on the lens to facilitate your shooting style and what you are shooting. These buttons/switches activate and deactivate settings you may have set in your camera - and work wonderfully. No longer to you have to go back to the Menu on the Camera to adjust "on-the-fly" these same features and take your eye from the viewfinder. This lens was "made" to fit with the Sony FE bodies - and it works wonderfully.
5) The build quality is stunning. The focus and zoom rings on my example are silky smooth and give exactly what I expect for tactile feedback.
So - here is the bottom line... If you are coming from the Nikon or Canon world of professional lenses/bodies - BUY THIS lens if you are looking for a native FE lens to match what you've come to expect from other professional optical manufacturers. This Sony lens does not disappoint.
A little about me..? I shoot commercially and expect the best out of my equipment. For that? This lens will fit right into my shoots and style,
I hope this helps.
July 15, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by mehansen Switching to Sony
Been a Nikon user forever - shifting to Sony -The 70-200 and the camera combined feel like they weigh less than the Nikon 70-200 alone. and the clarity/sharpness is right there - Thanks Sony - Now you need a 2x like my nikon and we're really in business!
April 22, 2015
Rated 4 out of 5 by cyclemichael hard to focus in low light
Hard to focus in low light is probable more of a problem with my Sony a7. Even when using my BIG Sony flash, its hard to focus in low light because there is no IR Preflash focus assist
March 23, 2015