Cyber-shot ® Digital Still Camera
Amazing for the price
This camera is amazing. A couple of years ago I was looking for a camera as an upgrade from my DSC-p100 that I purchased for $800 in 2004. I really wanted something with manual mode but I didn't want to pay that much money again. Back then the cheapest thing I found by sony was around the $600 mark. I was kind of upset that sony didn't include manual mode on more of their cameras.
Late last year I came accross this camera which had everything on my checklist including the ability to take full HD videos. I am very pleased with this camera, however there are still a few things that I think could be improved.
-Very stylish with elegant buttons and finger grooves for holding the camera. Ergonomically it's great.
-Packed with so many features and special options... far beyond expectations for a camera at this price. Full HD movies with stereo sound, wide panoramas, 10 photos per second at highest quality, full manual mode, backlight correction, ... there are just so many pros.
- Makes reds look amazing
- Great settings for photographing food
- Image stabilisation is amazing
- Slide show function is really cool
Here are some things that I think could be improved:
-The location of the tripod mount is on the far left side of the camera, causing the camera to tilt a little bit in that direction when it is tightened (because of the rounded edge right next to the mounting hole)... at least with my camera mount. I fixed this problem by wedging some paper underneath the outer-side. Although having the mount on the far left side means that it is possible to change the battery without completely unscrewing the camera from the mount.
-The white balance during flash photography is terrible. Flash photography altogether with this camera is worse than with my old P-100. I guess with the hx9v this problem has been drastically improved in that it take 2 photos; one with and one without flash and then tries to match the wb of the photo with flash to that of the other photo.
-The set function of the whitebalance sometimes doesn't work properly, making the image an unatural colour.
-Within 2 weeks of owning this camera I noticed dust behind the lens. I do carry it a lot in my pockets and I did notice a lot of dust gathering in the retractable lense area. However sony replaced whole lens and put something inbetween the moving cylindrical parts to hinder the entry of dust.
-The microphones could be better. Some people say they distort, but they might have mistaken this for the speaker distorting on playback at high volume. Once you export movies onto you computer the sound is better. However the microphones don't handle bass at concerts very well, unlike the Luminix.
- I find the display control to be a bit limited.. For example you can not choose a display with low brightness and no information. To extend battery life on my P-100 I could even turn the display off, something that is not possible with the HX 5... understandably, because it has no view finder... but sometimes if I am filming with a tripod and I don't need to make any adjustments it would be handy if I could turn off the display and record for longer periods.
- Video taken at night is not as bright when compared to a Luminix camera. It also can take a long time to focus. I know it's not a video camera, but I have been using it as one, seeing as the quality is much better than my DVD610.
- When zooming during filming, the picture shakes a bit, especially in the final stages of zooming out.
- Camera is a bit slow switching between modes and when cycling through videos... slower than my P-100.
May 8, 2011
The image quality exact matchs DSLR camera, the image quality is very fantastic, AVCHD video quality is very dashing , this camera is a pocket handycam, i purchased it worth 1570 Riyals equal to 417.88 $ . it is very expensive.
April 20, 2011
Excelent Camera but small batery time.
The camera is very good! I have taken lots of great pictures with it.
But it have a small batery time ( i bought another batery)
It have a very good zoom, and takes lots of colors very well..
April 12, 2011
Lots of features for the price
April 7, 2011